Grants Writer and Communication StrategistCompany: University of Virginia
Date Posted: March 31, 2018
Reporting to the Director of Foundation Relations, this position will be responsible for writing compelling and successful grant proposals, reports and an array of communications materials targeted to institutional funders. He/she will also collaborate with UVA faculty, staff, administrators, and development colleagues to strategize, outline, write, edit, and design. Responsibilities will include:
- Developing grant proposals, reports, cultivation and stewardship communications, and other written documents as needed to support successful foundation relationships;
- Analyzing foundation background, requirements, and additional information to implement and advise colleagues on successful communication materials and proposal packages;
- Designing and executing successful multi-platform communications strategies aimed at attracting the attention of foundations and other institutional funders;
- Coordinating with faculty, program staff, research administrators, university leaders, and development colleagues;
- Understanding and following university protocols for institutional funders;
- Maintaining a strong understanding of current and emerging university priorities and research areas across the institution;
- Overseeing the development and maintenance of tools to train faculty and others in successful foundation communications;
- Maintaining a library of commonly used foundation documents and language;
- Performing other duties as assigned.
The ideal candidate will be an excellent writer and editor. He/she will have a demonstrated ability to grasp and synthesize complex subjects, to write and communicate clearly and persuasively, and to meet deadlines. He/she will be able to work well both collaboratively and independently and will have strong interpersonal skills, and a precise attention to details. A bachelor’s degree and three to five years of related work experience is required. Demonstrated grant writing success preferred.
To access the Jobs@UVa system, go to https://jobs.virginia.edu. Posting Number: 0622976
Founded by Thomas Jefferson in 1819, the University of Virginia sustains the ideals of developing, through education, leaders who are well-prepared to help shape the future of the nation and the world. Consistently ranked as one of the top public universities, the quality of research, scholarship, creative arts, and innovation at UVA is particularly important because of the dual mission inherent in its identity as a collegiate research university. The University is large enough to support excellence in research and teaching, yet small enough to promote the collegiality and the interplay of ideas that are critical for academic leadership and innovation. While smaller colleges and universities focus on disseminating knowledge to students, the University’s charge—as a public Research 1 university—is broader and more exacting. Its scope encompasses discovery as well as dissemination—and the dissemination of these discoveries not just to its students but also to the general public, who can help translate them into practical applications.