Director of DevelopmentCompany: The Fahrenheit Group
Date Posted: September 8, 2017
The Fahrenheit Group has been retained by Virginia Home for Boys and Girls to help them hire a Director of Development.
The Director of Development is responsible for creating, implementing and managing all of VHBG’s fundraising and donor relationship activities. Strong experience in developing strategic fundraising plans, in addition to the ability to plan and manage departmental resources is required. Reporting to the President, the Director of Development will oversee a comprehensive program of cultivation and stewardship across a broad array of fundraising and relationship development tactics. The Director of Development also works in partnership with the Director of Marketing to ensure consistency in brand communications to all stakeholders.
Core duties and responsibilities:
- Prepares a comprehensive annual plan for VHBG’s development activities to support the short and long-term philanthropic needs of the organization.
- Responsible for successful execution of planned development activities to achieve stated revenue goals; includes senior management, board leadership, committee members, volunteers and others as appropriate. Has primary responsibility for ensuring that the external cultivation and stewardship of donors is adequate to meet or exceed the goals set forth in the annual plan, including proactive management of the President’s meetings and solicitations.
- Participates in or is responsible for activities including, but not limited to, annual fund, planned giving, capital fundraising, campaign fundraising, grant writing and reporting, volunteer management, gift processing, donor database management, special events, and marketing efforts tied to fundraising activities.
- Supervises the support staff responsible for accurate and timely gift processing, donor records, mailing lists and grant writing. Provides leadership and oversight of support staff, including hiring, firing, coaching, training, and performance management.
- Ensures that accurate and thorough records are maintained, including contact and call reports, giving history, biographical data, etc.
- Assists President in drafting fundraising policies for VHBG. Presents these policies to the President and Board for review/approval.
- Prepares a monthly and annual summary which includes the fundraising highlights, fundraising results, accomplishments, and summary of goals and objectives completed for the President.
- Develops annual departmental budgets in line with industry norms and expense ratios. Monitors reports on a monthly basis. Provides timely forecasting of expected results.
- Manages departmental resources (human and financial) in a way that efficiently produces optimal results, and achieves stated financial objectives for revenue and expense management. Serves as a member of VHBG’s administrative management team that meets weekly to share information and address the needs of organization.
- Performs specific other duties or tasks as may be assigned by the President to advance the understanding, cause, mission and the support of the Virginia Home for Boys & Girls.
Experience and Education:
- Minimum of five years of successful experience in fundraising; thorough knowledge of area and national funding sources, as well as laws and regulations governing the conduct of fundraising by nonprofit organizations in Virginia
- Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university is required, preferably from the field of nonprofit management or related fields such as communications, public relations, marketing or business
- Ability to develop accurate annual budgets and forecasts, and ability to manage budgets to achieve business objectives
- Demonstrated ability to cultivate and solicit major gifts
- Strong relationship building and interpersonal skills; strong writing skills, detail and data-oriented
- Experience with Raiser’s Edge preferred; proficient in MS Office Suite of products
- Must have a valid driver's license with acceptable driving record.
A fair compensation package and strong benefits will be provided to attract outstanding candidates.
Interested candidates, please submit your resume to Megan Evans (firstname.lastname@example.org) and Russ Bencks (email@example.com) for consideration.